Monday, June 25, 2007

I've Fallen



And I can't get up.

This period of rehabilitation has been, and continues to be in many ways, more challenging than when I was on 2 crutches. At least then I could be an invalid; I was convalescing; not much was expected of me. Sitting upright got me a standing o.

Now I'm working my body and trying to unknot the tight places and strengthen the weak places and people, not to be a whiny monkey, but it hurts. I've never been a huge pill popper - before surgery when I was told to just take Advil every day for the pain I said no thank you, I'd like to keep my stomach lining please. But at night my leg cramps up - my gym teacher told me that the muscles are spasming because they're not used to being used - and I find myself getting out of bed and limping into the bathroom and tossing back a couple of 'vils. I was so delighted to stop taking the Vicodin, and I know it's like comparing apples to oranges, but it's kind of a bummer to have to medicate myself just so I can fall asleep. This too shall pass, I know, I know. Whiny whiny.

In other whiny monkey news, I think I'm going out to L.A. to visit my brother and his fiance sometime next month, which I'm totally excited about. I have to get a letter from Dr. Buly's office to the effect that no, Mr. TSA person, this is not a bomb in my leg, it's just a metal plate, please let me on the plane. That encounter's going to make for an awesome post, I have a feeling.

No comments: