Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Technical Difficulties Please Stand By

For all you nerds out there, or if you're just wondering what all this fuss has been about, here's what I had done (according to Dr. Buly's bill):

Arthroscopy of Hip with Synovectomy. (that's the two little incisions. I don't know what synovectomy means. Labrum repair? Perhaps our surgeon friend can enlighten us)

Incision/Fixation of Femur. This is the one that really makes me laugh. It sounds so simple. "Yeah, so I'm just going to make an incision and fix your femur, that ok with you?" Nothing about sawing through my leg bone and removing a slice of it and sticking a metal plate in my thigh and pins into the bone. Maybe that's why I agreed to do this, I didn't know what I was getting into.

No of course that's not true. I had as educated a guess as I could as to what I was getting into, and daily life had become unbearably painful.

Lately as I feel better and stronger I have strange urges to claw through my leg and rip the plate out. Obviously I can't really do that but the scar itches a lot now and I daydream as I absentmindedly scratch it that I could just keep scratching away a little at a time like in the Shawshank Redemption and eventually reach freedom. Or metal. A friend of mine said recently that it's important to have things to look forward to. I'm already looking forward to a year from now when I can get it taken out. I'm not even bothered about having to deal with the raised toilet seat again.

This post is getting weird. I just really miss lying on my right side. It's how I used to sleep. And in yoga class at the end it's the side you roll over onto, but I can't, so now I roll left when everyone else is rolling right and I end up looking like I want to make out with the person next to me.

Someone's having a little poopy pity party. Bear with me people.

No comments: