Tuesday, May 15, 2007

3 Weeks Later

There's going to be a scar picture at the bottom of this post. I have no perspective any more on whether this is gross because I look at it every day... plus I find it oddly fascinating... but if you skeeve easily, perhaps you may want to avert your eyes... or go watch a zombie movie first and then this will seem like nuthin'.

OK!

Status report:

No longer nauseous (although that's the Nexium, but still, it's nice)

Don't need naps (but I still believe the siesta is one of life's greatest luxuries)

Can bathe self

Right knee and hip bend past 90 degrees

Can sit in a regular chair

Sudoku skills improved from 'Light and Easy' to 'Demanding'

Can put on pants, socks and shoes (with hands, not toes)

Can stand long enough to cook (this is not a good admission; mom will go on strike)

Have not gone completely mental yet

So all in all, doing well. I am determined that in 3 weeks when I trundle into Dr. Buly's office for the post-op check-up, I'll be walking out (even if I need a cane, it would be a huge improvement).

Ready?

Here it be:



So first of all you can see how the surgical tape is just crying out to be pulled off, right?
The two X's are where Dr. Buly repaired the labrum, which is the cartilage that rings the hip socket.
There's also a little red dot in the top right corner where the drain was after surgery (apparently bones bleed a lot), and it's still pretty lumpy with swelling. It can take as long as 6 months for the swelling to completely go down.
I'll post again when the rest of the tape comes off, but I think it looks pretty good for 3 weeks out. As long as the plate is in, I will be somewhat uneven, but I've gotten used to the idea, and it's coming out in a year anyway.

What's a little weird as well is that I can now feel the plate in my leg. It doesn't hurt, it just feels like there's something else in there with my leg when I move it - which of course there is. It's an odd sensation.

Anyway, doing well overall. Thank you all so much for your support and visits and love!

No comments: